Hummus is one of the world’s oldest dishes, dating back at least as far back as seven thousand years ago. The key ingredient of this dish is chickpeas. As such, it possesses all of the impressive health benefits of these beans, including the following:
- Chickpeas are rich in fiber, which serves to facilitate a healthy blood sugar level and help remove unhealthy cholesterol from your system.
- Vegetarians, vegans, and other people looking to reduce their intake of meat appreciate hummus for its strong protein and iron content.
- The folic acid found in hummus is an important nutrient for proper bodily function. It is particularly important during pregnancy, as it prevents certain birth defects.
- Tryptophan, phenylalanine, and tyrosine, all of which are present in hummus, are good at improving your mood and fostering restful sleep.
- The olive oil used in hummus is rich in monounsaturated fat, which is beneficial to your heart.
- There is a trace amount of molybdenum in chickpeas, which detoxifies the body.
- The phytic acid and saponins in hummus defend your cells from genetic damage, preventing the development of cancerous growths.
- Hummus is a source of omega-3 fatty acids, which prevent pain and inflammation, and help to sharpen the mind and ward off mental diseases associated with advanced age.
You can try our Mediterranean or Roasted Garlic Hummus at our Bellevue Indian restaurant. Join us for happy hour 3-6pm daily and all day Sunday!