Healthy Dining Options
If you’re trying to cut down on your intake of unhealthy fats and cholesterol, Indian cuisine can be a very strong choice.
Traditional Indian dining is largely very friendly to a low-fat or low-cholesterol diet. First of all, there is a heavy dependence on grains and vegetables, rather than meats.
When meat is used, the grilling techniques frequently employed drain away much of the harmful fats. Finally, the strong spices used in most dishes serve to boost your metabolism, and are highly conducive of weight loss.
To get the most out of your diet while dining at an Indian restaurant, keep the following tips in mind:
- Consider papadum bread or naan as an alternative to fried samosas.
- If you eat meat, look for chicken or seafood instead of beef or lamb.
- Shrimp is found in a lot of dishes. This gives you a healthy dose of the omega-3 fatty acids.
- Look for a curry with a vegetable or dal base, rather than the ones prepared with a cream or coconut milk base.
- Are you getting rice? Consider basmati over the familiar white rice. This popular Indian rice is big on valuable nutrition that can help you clean cholesterol out of your system, and has a great taste that works well without fatty sauces.
- Try choosing dishes made with olive oil or garlic. Both of these common ingredients are effective in reducing your cholesterol levels.
At MokSHA in Bellevue, we offer many satisfying, South Indian-style dishes that mesh well with a variety of diets. Come and try one of our curries, kebabs, or more today!